MUELLER AUSTIN HEB/MARKET DISTRICT SITE PLAN
In addition to the 221 new homes coming to Mueller Austin in the upcoming section, there’s also quite a bit of commercial product in the works – probably the most highly anticipated of which is the HEB. So, drum roll, please…. Initial renderings of the HEB/Market District Site Plan at Mueller Austin have been released. I have attached the document here for your reference. Jim Adams of McCann Adams Studio & HEB presented at our Neighborhood Association Meeting on Saturday with lots of juicy information. Here are the down & dirty details:
Market District Details
- A restaurant is slated to sit on a terraced corner at 51st & Berkman in an effort to reach out to the surrounding community and bring folks to Mueller.
- Pocket park at the existing Oak tree grove along Berkman. The goal is a park-like setting as you drive down 51st street.
- Gas station will be a part of HEB. It will sit 40’ off of 51st (all development is required to sit at least 40’ back). The gas station is a rather contentious issue – those opposing feel as though there are already plenty of gas stations in the area and we don’t need another one in a pedestrian-focused community. Those in support are looking forward to the convenience of having one very close by. The station will only have four pumps, whereas most other HEB stations have between 6 – 8 pumps.
- Looking at the possibility of creating a median along 51st street that would also act as a sort of ‘pedestrian refuge’ for crossing foot traffic
- Shops & restaurants that are part of the Market District will be slated to open at the same time HEB does.
- The timeline: they’re looking at breaking ground Fall 2012 with an opening in the summer of 2013!
- The store will be 80,000 square feet, not including outdoor space associated with the store (smaller than the Hancock HEB, which is around 100,00 sq. ft.)
- Employ around 300 partners
- HEB is employing nationally renowned Lake Flato Architects to design the store
- It will be the most environmentally sustainable store, which will act as a Green Building Lab
- Minimum LEED Silver rating
- Energy usage will be cut in HALF of other stores
- Incorporate daylight harvesting
- Reclaim H2O
- Composting in rear
- Reuse of air condensate
- Native landscaping
- Food Options
- Mix of products with an emphasis on natural & organic food and everyday low prices
- Produce section will be the largest department at the store
- Central Market favorites
- In-store dining with seating inside & out
- Other Features of Note
- Aviation theme for store front with an all-glass front
- Community gathering room (upstairs)
- Cooking, nutrition and food education classes
- Public art
- Creatively-styled bike racks
- Larger family restrooms with baby-changing stations
- 3 “sneak” entrances into the store from the south side
Please note that there will be a Market District Community Meeting on Wednesday, April 25th at 6 PM at Our Lady’s Maronite Church on 51st street. Please come give your feedback on the plans so our voices can be heard before all the details are set in stone.
Want to chat Mueller Austin? Trying to decide if it’s the right place for you to call home? Feel free to call/text/email anytime Hilary Herrin, 512.913.8642, firstname.lastname@example.org